<bgsound loop='infinite' src='http://www.tunescoop.com/play/323132333131/disney-the-lion-king-the-circle-of-life-mp3'></bgsound> July 15, 2012....a day to remember | CAPE TOWN MISSION

Sunday, August 5, 2012

July 15, 2012....a day to remember

When we first arrive in Cape Town President Wood came to me and said he had several African elders that were receiving no mail. Some had families without computers or they didn't have the means to write. The president wanted me to come up with an idea to solve the problem. That night as I went to my knees to pray about what I should do the answer came before I was even was down. An "Adopt an Elder" program. I put the profiles together and sent them to my friends and family at home as well as one of our elders from the state's mom wanted to help. It has proved to be the most incredible thing I have ever experienced.  

Some of the families have been very generous with their adopted sons. On one occasion we were at the Woolworth s Department store. It is a high end store. We were buying a rain coat for one of the elder from his adopted family. As we went to the check out stand a young lady started looking at my name tag. I leaned over and stretched my sweater so she could get a better view. I asked her if she had ever heard about the Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints? Known as the Mormons. She said, No!" I asked her if she would like a free DVD of Jesus Christ. I wrote my number on the back and told her to call me, that was about 2 pm. She called me at 9:45 pm that night. I sent Elder Simelane and his companion Elder Mholo. She loved being taught but her mother didn't and told her if she kept taking the lessons she would need to move out. Which Juanita did for two weeks.

Angela Zenda and I went to the Cavendish Mall one afternoon to see Juanita to see how she was doing. Her grandfather had died and she had moved back in. That night she went home and told her mother of our concern. They talk much the next day as well. Her mother wanted to meet us so she invited us (Elder Henderson and I) and the elders to dinner the next Sunday and agreed Juanite could start the lessons again. The meal was amazing. They live so humbly and her mother Jean put on a feast. By now the Elders were Elder Mholo and Elder Khanyile.

Sister Henderson, Juanita September, Juanite Barbus & Sister Barbus


Elder & Sister Henderson with the two precious Juanita's

On July 15th, 2012 Juanita September was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints. What an incredible day. D&C 18:14-16.

Elder Simalane, Juanita & Elder Mholo on Juanita's first time attending Mitchell's Plain Branch
I was asked to speak at her baptism and Elder Henderson was asked to confirm Juanita. We love you special sister!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment